Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

How do I get nail polish stains out of carpet?

What will work best?

Thank you 

• V.G
    Favorite Answer

About 20 squirts of hairspray should do it, if not try some rubbing alcohol on top of it (the hairspray that is) and scrub with a brush in circles.

Oh boy!  The only thing that dissolves nail polish is acetone.  If your carpet is nylon it won't dissolve it but might ruin the dye. I'd test in an inconspicuous place like inside a closet first.  I'd also borrow a carpet cleaner to have on standby to clean up the acetone (nail polish remover) as soon as you get the polish out so that there's none left behind to slowly eat away at the dye.  The worst case scenario is cutting out the stain and replacing that patch of carpet with a patch from a closet.  It's hard to entirely blend such a patch unless the carpet is very new.

Scissors.

Products that dissolve nail polish also damage carpet, in some cases dissolving it, too, if it's certain kinds of man-made fiber.