My stepdaughter is acting weird, why? ?

Hello :)

My stepdaughter just stopped visit me/her father and grandparents for 3 months now, for no reason. 

She is 12y. All started one day, her father made miles to bring her to our home as usual and she just didn't wanted to go, she wanted to stay with friends (friends that she see everydays). She made fun of him, and her mother agreed. Looks like its all a plan from her mom. It was right after her birthday of 12y old. 

She used to like me a lot. Her father try to contact her many times at day, but she rarely answer. She treats her so well, nobody understands that attitude. She just said to him 'I dont want to see you anymore..'. Its very strange because she was really happy with us and visiting grandparents too!! 

They keep sending messages showing their love to her, but she never answer. I dont send messages to her since the first time that she didn't answered my messages. 

Yesterday from nowhere, she just sent me a message saying hello, and 'im fine and you? " and then a riddle with emojis which the meaning was "i love you". 

I answer the riddle and told her to send message to her father because he loves her a lot. I was worried at first, because she never started a conversation and she could be in trouble. Its very weird!! Her father that same day sent her messages and calls, she didn't answered! 

What is happening?? Why the messages? She never answers about why she is going this, she's very cold kid, don't know what to do to help! 

It might be the Pandemic.     

• ?

maybe you should talk to her about it

Hard to say what is going on, I think if I were your husband I would revisit custody in the courts and see if the judge could order family counseling maybe to address what's changed because it's worrying that his daughter has suddenly had a very drastic change in behavior. 

• ?

It would seem that your husband and his child's mother need to have some discussions, preferably with the child, because it is possible that she is saying things about your husband which he wouldn't like. Possible. Suggest to him that he makes an agreement with the mother that they will never criticise each other anywhere near their child.

Teenagers do change, and they want to spend more time with friends than family very often. 

Good Luck!

• Ralph

First she is coming of that age where she probably dislikes a lot of stuff. One day you might be like their best friend and the next day your just an adult who doesn't know anything about anything. So I would recommend it just playing out without too much pressure. On a deeper note a big question would be why did your Husband and the Mother of your stepdaughter split up in the first place? Was it a divorce? Did someone leave the other? If it was your husband who left I can see why at this age she would hold an extra amount of contempt towards him. Another issue is are these visits court mandated? If not, then why? And if so, then she has to come regardless of what she wants to do unless you come to some agreement in the court system. If it is court mandated and your husband is not fighting to see his daughter then that could come off as a second round of abandonment for your stepdaughter. Hope this helps.

• T J

If she contacts you, reply...Do not mention her father, and how he misses her. You told her once, and he tried after that. Who knows what has been told to her about her dad. Maybe in time she will start to give you hints or even tell you, but let it be her to tell you with out you asking.