Eric asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it child abuse to put a child lock on a bedroom door to keep kid in if he’s coming out and hurting parents?

And breaking things in the house because he lost a privilege for knocking down his baby brother repeatedly after warned ?

He says he will hurt him again unless he gets his tv time 

Make his abortion retroactive immediately.

Depends on the duration & your local country’s laws zxjqk

. . . . . . . . . .

, , , , , , , , , ,

If YOUR child is threatening YOU, then you have EVERY rights to lock him up for some time. I mean, he SPECIFICALLY told you that if you don't give him his TV time he will HURT his brother AGAIN. I think that you can see that you have 2 choices, either you LOCK HIM UP or you WATCH YOUR OTHER CHILD BEING HIT REPEATEDLY.  Personally, I'd lock him up the instance he threatens his parents of hitting his brother because that's just NO WAY how a child should behave. you are TOO SOFT with him!

Parents can legally imprison their children as long as they are properly being cared for during the imprisonment.  So if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

No, but you should have spanked him when he was younger.  If he's under age 13, it may  not be too late.  Other than that, I suggest military school or reform school.  Hopefully  the threat of it will  calm him down.  If not, out he goes.  Allowing a child to terrorize the household is just stupid.  You ARE  the parents (I assume.) 

It can be considered negligent/abusive; primarily because preventing exit in an emergency is negligent/abusive. If his behaviors are so out of control that you have to lock him in somewhere to prevent him from harming others, I think there's more things to be concerned about than whether or not you put a lock on his door... I'd be getting into a psychiatrist immediately. 

• helene

You sound like the crazy kid, frankly.

People who hurt babies should be burned at the stake, and you're whining about a lock on the door.

No its not-

The locks are there to keep others safe from his violent tendencies, they are not put in place to hurt him or to deprive him of his basic freedoms (ie food, shelter, clothing)! It's a good intentioned method, but its foolish to do so, and I will explain this in the next paragraph.

Your son is demonstrating at the very least anti-personality disorder traits, and at worst is showing serious signs of psychopathic tendencies! Locking him in the room, does not address his very deep rooted psycological issues, and there's no way you can keep him locked up 24/7. He needs to go see a psychiatrist to get diagnosed, and with a professional he or she can get your son on the right types of treatment plan and medications to help deal with his disorder(s).

• edward

My parents put child locks on all the doors when i was young.  It didn’t stop me, i figured out how to open the doors and got around it but at least they tried.  It isn’t hurting anyone

• ?

Of course not but the child needs to be supervised because they could turn that rage onto themselves. 

An old movie called Child of Rage examined how we treat children with those dangerous tendencies and locking them in their room was a necessity due to Baby Cat's(Katherine was the name used in the movie). It was based on the childhood of Beth Thomas. The video below shows Beth in therapy sessions as a child. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2-Re_Fl_L4

Youtube thumbnail