Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 2 months ago

What do you think of Germany banning far right groups with their Nazi symbols?

• ?

Should be worldwide 

I think it's wrong and will backfire. Remember that Christianity was outlawed before it became a global sensation. So was homosexuality. Movements become more popular when they are forbidden by the official ruling class. People like doing things they're told not to do. You would think that German officials would know this by examining history. My prediction is neonazism and far right groups will gain popularity in Germany from this kind of censorship. What they should have done is just let them be. If these groups are nonsense, then let them make fools out of themselves.

I agree with their interior minister: “There is no place in our country for a group that sows hate and propagates the re-establishment of a Nazi state,” Interior Minister Horst Seehofer said. 

Gee, if only had said there was no room for hate in America! He might have gotten reelected.

Anything with a Nazi symbol should be banned.  Just as here in the U.S. any symbol of BLM or ANTIFA should be banned.  All are nasty terrorist, anti human organizations!

• ?

These days one doesn't know what to think.

• ?

Banning things just makes them more attractive to the weak-minded. But as Germany has no Constitutionally protected right to free speech this would be entirely within German law. 

• Maxi

Germany have a particular issue with neo nazi's and because of their history I understand them.......... also based on raids on neo nazi extremist groups/terrorists in Germany they have found these groups are 'living in the past' and hoping to re establish it....

Because, as the report says, a crossbow, machete and knives were found in police raids and far right extremists present the greatest terror threat in Germany. Islamist extremist groups have been banned for similar reasons.

I disagree with Nazi anything, but trying to ban them will drive them underground and make it much harder to keep tabs on them. Plus it will make those groups be the victims of government repression and help make more people sympathetic to their causes. Best to let them have their say. I expect most folks will ignore them.  

Source(s): Mustached gun toting cowboy fashion victim across the pond