How many galaxies are there?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

A bit of math:

Size of the "Hubble deep field" area is 2.6 arc minutes on a side, or 1/24 millionth of the whole sky.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Deep_Field

More than 3000 galaxies in one "deep field image".

So the possible imaged total (if the Milky Way galaxy was not in the way) is 72 billion at least, probably much more.

As to the universe, which is mostly beyond our detection, the total could be many times the number that we can pick up with cameras.

• zipper
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Honestly we do not know. What we do know is that the space is expanding and that they are moving away from us each month!   With the Hupple Scope they have seen about a thousand more than they can see from earth.  We may never know!

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The latest estimate is 2.2 trillion in the observable universe.

• garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

that we can see or cant see is the question .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Take a look at Hubble's deep field images. tens of thousands just in one image.

Tens of thousands of those images to complete a view of just the visible universe.

That amounts to about 200 billion observable galaxy's.

• ANDY
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Since you did not mention the word "observable universe", the only answer you can get to "How many galaxies are there?" is "We don't know"!

• 2 months ago

In the visible universe, it's estimated to be about 100 to 200 billion; there may be more beyond the visible universe. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I0^I0 googol to googolplex times over amount of Galaxy jq

, , , , , , , , , ,

• 2 months ago

This is a, "how many grains of sand --" question ,for a beach of unknown size 

• 2 months ago

No one knows. The Cosmos is so large we cannot individually count all the stars and galaxies. 

However, I will not dispute the figure that your correspondent 'Duncan' has quoted. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.