Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Can someone explain health insurance deductibles?

Omg i do not understand it. If my plan is a 2000 deductible whats this.mean??? If i go to the doctor will i have to pay for the doctor visit? 

Update:

But i never got to the doctor but maybe once a year. This will be lile having no insiraince right?????

Update 2:

Ok i understand a bit more. Thi is all really confusing to me

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If you go only for preventive care, then you don't pay anything.

If you go for anything else, then you pay.  You pay the first $2000 of medical bills (not including preventative care); after that, either the insurance company pays everything or you pay a percentage and the insurance company pays a percentage.

• 2 months ago

The deductible is the amount you pay up to before the insurance kicks in. Insurance is for covering big financial hits that you cannot afford to pay.   

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You pay for everything yourself until you have paid $2000 total for th year.  After that, th insurance pays a share, and you usually pay a shar called a copay.

• 2 months ago

You will pay a percentage of your medical bills, including doctor visits, up until you hit $2000.  Then your insurance picks up the cost (most likely less a small co-pay of around $20 a visit.)

As far as 'like having no insurance':

1.  All insurance has a deductible. Auto insurance has one as well

2.  Insurance is not the same as free* health care.  It is meant to be there in case something major happens.  That's why insurance (not just health insurance) exists and can survive.  It spreads the costs across all participants.  

* Nothing is free.  Either you pay for it in premiums or higher taxes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A deductible is the amount you pay for health care services before your health insurance begins to pay. How it works: If your plan's deductible is $1,500, you'll pay 100 percent of eligible health care expenses until the bills total $1,500. After that, you share the cost with your plan by paying coinsurance.

• 2 months ago

The first 2000 of expense is on you. This means that if you have $2500 of medical expenses, you'll get back $500.

You will have to pay for your doctor visit up until you hit the expense ceiling. Then you can go every day. if you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.