JSG asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Legally, would one have to get permission from any cartoon and/or comics makers to produce any remakes of their works?

Hi. I am curious about this. Legally, would one have to get permission from any cartoon and/or comics makers to produce any remakes of their works? I have seen collaborations between indie animators that were reproductions of already existing cartoons. I presume those are were just done as experiments.

Why would I want to produce remakes in the first place? I wouldn't necessarily wouldn't want to produce a remake of anyone's cartoons and/or comics for fun, I might want to do that because I "think I could do a better job".

I have seen some indie animated cartoons and comics online and thought about remaking them.

Would I have to get permission from the original creators to produce remakes of their works?

I would think remakes of existing cartoons and/or comics would fall under Fair Use, since technically remakes I presume constitute derivative works, but I'm not an expert on legalism.

Please help. Thank you.

• ?

If you want to make money off of them you do.