Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTrying to Conceive · 2 months ago

Loan to pay for donor sperm?

I'm prepared for the backlash from asking a question like this, but for others who've been there, would you consider taking out a small personal loan for donor sperm for at-home insemination? Is it stupid? I'm nearly 35 years old with an 11 year-old son, I've wanted another child for years but I'm single, not dating, no plans to be dating. I've been a single mom all throughout my son's life, I have family support, I have education, I have a decently paying job that includes good insurance and yearly raises, however, for the initial cost I would need either to: 1. Have a small loan, or 2. Wait until my tax returns come through. So... stupid or no? 

I think you should before it is too late if you really want another child. You may not have eggs much longer. My mom was born 11 years after her sister. 

many of us offer free insemination with guananted results

Stupid idea.  If you have to take out a loan for the at-home insemination, how do you expect to find the money to pay for the medical bills and a child?  Also, think about what this will do to your existing child.  Age gaps that are that large rarely work out well for the kids.  Your son will likely resent you.