My rented basement feel cold. I use this heater . Owner complains bill is increasing.Is it because of me ? 4 other rooms have tenants too.?

Its a bit because of you, but I'm sure those other 4 tenants are using the heat too.  Just tell him you'll try to use it as little as you can and he'll probably stop bugging you.

A heater like that will use anywhere from about 500 watts to 1500 watts.

Lets assume you set it to medium heat so it draws about 1000 watts when its on.

Lets assume you use the thermostat so it turns on and off automatically to maintain the desired room temperature, and it ends up being on 50% of the time (12 hours per day).

1000 watts x 12 hours = 12,000 watt-hours per day

Electricity is billed in kilowatt hours which is just increments of 1000 watt-hours, so 12,000 WH = 12kWH per day.

Electricity rates vary by location but 10-15 cents per kWH is typical. So your heater is costing somewhere between $1.20 to $1.80 per day to run in this scenario. Multiply that by 30 days in a month and yes, you are adding between $36 to $54 per month to the electric bill JUST from this heater.

If you are running it on high, or it runs more than 50% of the time, or electricity prices in your area are higher than normal, then the monthly cost could be even more.

Plus if there are other tenants using heaters those would each add similar amounts.

So your landlord is correct that your heater is contributing to a spike in his electric bill. But the real question is - what do you all do about it? You have a right to keep your private space at a comfortable temperature and if he's not willing to crank up the central heating system then using a space heater is reasonable. And if your rent includes electricity then too bad for him. On the other hand if you're month-to-month then the landlord can notify you now that your terms are changing in a month, so if he wants to bill you for a share of the electricity then he can do that with proper notice and your only option is to pay it or move out.

Its very common for there to be huge swings in monthly energy bills due to the weather. When I lived in a northern state my energy bill would be 2x as much in the winter compared to the summer. Now I live in a southern state and its the exact opposite because my AC unit runs 24/7 in July & August running up my electric bill but in November I leave the doors open because its 70 degrees outside.

So its a fact of life that you'll end up paying for comfort part of the year, the only issue here is how the cost is split between landlord & tenant in your circumstances.

• ?

Probably not entirely because of you but yes a space heater will cause a spike in the power bill. Really nothing the landlord can do about it though. They are legally required to provide heat. 

• Maxi

If you are using more electric because of the heater then of course the electric bill will increase...no idea what other tenants are using more or not

Doesn't matter why it is increasing.  You can run the heater all you like.

In part, yes - electric heaters are pretty high energy items.

But given that it's winter, it's likely everyone's use is going up.

you don't have a right to your personal comfortable temperature, you  only have a right to legally required minimum temp.

a space heater can easily add $2 per day to the electric bill.  do you know how cold it is, if its under 68 F during the day, landlord is not providing adequate heat, but if it is at least 68 without the space heater, its only right that you pay extra to make it warmer.