What age do people start requiring help to live and do daily functioning? My friend said 70, but my neighbor is very active and full of life?

Neighbor is 72. He goes to the country club to golf all the time and has people over and seems completely fine with no help.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It only depends on how you treat yourself. 

At the DMV, I met a woman in her 90's, going for her license renewal. She was amazing. She cared for herself, walked easily sans cane, and was congenial. Other seniors, in their nineties, were waiting to take their driving test. 

• ?

Every person is different. Some are in marathons at 90 and some become crippled or get early on set Alzheimer's at 30. No two people are the same.

It varies quite a bit depending on the person's health. I am 84 and live alone with no problems. I have a friend who is 92 and still drivers her car to the grocery and church. 

Impossible to put a number on it, and kind of hard to know what you mean when you say 'help to live'. Does that mean they'll die without medical help, or that they'd now rather hire someone to do the vacuuming? I mean, I hired someone to install a roof this summer when 10 years ago I would have done it myself. Does that mean I need help to live?