What background/nationality is my cousin? Please read ?

What background/nationality is my cousin? Please read

We are first cousins from my fathers side. His mother is my fathers sister. My Father and his mother, were both born in Syria. His father was also born in Syria. However, both of his mothers parents (our grandparents) were born and raised in Lebanon, their heritage is in Lebanon, and their ancestors in Lebanon. His fathers ancestors are from Syria. He is claiming to be Full Syrian, due to his mother being born and raised in Syria, and disregarding his mothers blood as he says it is irrelevant due to his mother being born in Syria. I believe him to be half Syrian, half Lebanese due to his mothers side being Lebanese. What do you all think?

I think of myself as half Lebanese/half Syrian. Is this correct? My mother was born and raised in Lebanon and has Lebanese citizenship. My Father was born and raised in Syria but hasn’t got Syrian citizenship. He has Lebanese citizenship. Just like his sister (my cousins mother) she has Lebanese citizenship, but not Syrian citizenship. She was also born and raised in Syria. 

Due to his fathers heritage, he has Syrian citizenship. 

• Marnie

You are right, about his blood anyway.. but he has a right to identify himself the way that feels most comfortable to him

Ancestry DNA will have the answers that you desire. You may even discover more.

You have really confused the issue.  It would appear that you cousin background would be Syrian, if that is the CULTURE his parents have raised him in.  His Nationality is the country he was born in and would normally  have citizenship in, unless he has obtained citizenship in another or holds duel citizenships.  

One set of my Great Grandparents were Northern Italians who migrated to the US in the mid 1800's.  Their children, Grandchildren and every Generation since have been born on the US.  We are Americans of Northern Italian ancestry, but we many of us are also of English, Welsh and Irish ancestry - the bottom line is that we are Americans because we were born here our citizenship has nothing to do with our ancestry.

• Zirp

you give a lot of irrelevant details.

His/her nationality is what his/her passport says. Usually it comes with citizenship once you're old enough to vote.

Background is the language/culture of the people you grow up among

• Maxi

Where was your cousin born/raised? Where does he live? What passport does he hold? That and only that determines his background and citizenship/nationality....... his ancestry may or maynot be something else.but NO ONE is half anything, they may have ancestors from x, y or z but that doesn't make them their ancestors or half of what  their ancestors were or once were.

Looks to me he is Syrian if he has citizenship/nationality there with ancestors from Lebanon

You are confusing nationality, which is the same as citizenship, with ethnicity and heritage. If you have a Syrian passport, your nationality is Syrian. You can have dual nationality. 

Your heritage comes from both sides of the family. Many people in the US have ancestors from all over. We now have some very accurate DNA tests that can identify where your ancestors came from for the past several hundred yesrs. My DNA showed ancestry from Spain that I never knew about before, but have now traced through the generations on ancestry.com.

Ethnicity brings in another complication. Most people in Syria are Arabic, but not necessarily Muslim. Lebanon is even more mixed.