Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Can you take a regular antibiotic rectally?

I cannot swallow pills for the absolute life of me. As a kid, I chewed them. As an adult, I crush them and take them with peanut butter. Which is fine, but takes forever. 

I was prescribed these massive amoxicillin tablets for an abscess today. It took me a hour to grind one and I have to take two a day for ten days. Is it a viable option to take them rectally? I do fine with suppositories. 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Put with apple sauce 

I myself like pills better than capsules, cus it takes longer with tablets and less side affects,  I put mine in a teaspoon of apple sauce,  hard for me  I’m in my 60s. And pills I like better 

• 2 months ago

Simply get the suspension, liquid form. Problem solved

• Hannah
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

NEVER crush a pill that is not specifically meant to be crushed.  Pills and tablets have a time-released coating, designed to bypass certain digestive system parts and release slowly into your system.  By crushing them, you’re allowing the pill to release all at once which could be toxic to your stomach or liver. 

• 2 months ago

No, a pill that is meant to be ingested does not work as a suppository.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The point of capsules is to protect the medication against the acids of your stomach. If you open them and ingest the content, they can't work

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Crushing pills is generally a bad idea because many pills are designed to be absorbed over time and produce a steady release of the active ingredient. Crushing them up completely undermines this process. Just man up and take them properly. Put the pill as far back on tongue as you can without gagging, tilt your head up and swig a mouthful of water. 

• 2 months ago

I have two degrees in neuroscience and biomedical science. Short answer is no, most of the drug enters the bloodstream from the mouth. It’s pretty bioavailable and is readily absorbed in tissues. Your bum, although highly vascular w/ good nutrient reabsorption will waste the drug. Simply because the vast majority of nutrient reuptake from your backside ends up going to the liver. That might sound fantastic but really what you’re doing is giving your liver a fancy diet for a day. The liver will metabolise the antibiotic to useless metabolites that will end up being excreted though your renal system (you’ll piss out broken bits of amoxicillin that did nothing but sight see in your body). Hope this helps. You can obviously (as a side note) take amoxicillin intravenously but I doubt that’s any more pleasant than swallowing the damn thing. I feel your pain bud, amoxicillin is a rough antibiotic. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ask the Dr or Pharmacist.

Some pills are meant to go to the stomach to properly release. There could also be issues with dissolving, bleeding, or unknown issues.

Have you tried yogurt with the pill in a blender? But again, you need to know if you can do this. One of my pain pills is continuous release and if I grind it up, it can be fatal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.