is my understanding correct?

If an event takes place at a lower frequency,can we say that the event is rare?

I think you have the basic understanding of the situation, but you wouldn't say 'at a lower frequency' as this could confuse people. The correct term would be 'less often'.

If an event takes place less often...

And 'rare' would depend on the subject you are talking about.

For example:

If you are talking about finding less pearls in oysters this year as opposed to previous years, then the pearls could be considered rare. 

If you are talking about how many red cars are seen going down main street in the last hour, then they wouldn't be considered rare.

I don't associate lower frequency with the word rare. Lower frequency means it does happen, just in smaller numbers or less often. We used to get concerts in my city at least 10 times a year. Now, we get about three concerts per year--lower frequency. Tom Jones performed in concert here once in 20 years; so, you can say it's rare to see him here in concert. 

I think the term "rare" is highly subjective and depends on what the subject matter is... I mean if something happens a rate of 4 times out of every 5 and other thing happens at a rate of 3 times of every 5, yes 3 out of 5 is lower frequency, but still over half the time, which is not rare in my mind. 

No, not necessarily.  I urinate less frequently than I blink, but that doesn't mean me urinating is a rare event.  You need context.