Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Is it a big deal to buy a home at 22?

Favorite Answer

Depends really how you got the home. If you got it with your own money congrats! For real, that is such an accomplishment. Me and my husband bought our first house last year (I’m 23, he’s 25).

However the only reason we were able to afford a house was because he inherited quite a bit of money from his family. Also here in Louisiana it is rather common for couples to settle young fresh out of college. 

Regardless, if you made the money yourself.. I give you props, but if you went to any sort of college.. I doubt that’s the case. College kids are poor! Haha. 

Go for it one the best move you will make in life.....

I would be happy just to have a roof over my head irrespective of whether it's an apartment or a mansion or a mobile home and regardless of the age I am when I achieve it. If I have no roommates that's even better.  Aside from looking at it from a competitive spirit,  that is kinda immature if that's where you're coming from, as home purchasing should never be a competition and everyone is at different levels and stages of success, however they define it is individual to them. There will always be someone who has something we don't (better car, education, money to travel) and someone less fortunate than you are (grew up abused, homeless, dying from cancer).  As long as you didn't rob a bank and as long as you're happy that's all that matters, no need to ask us for validation.

I think its a "big deal " to buy a home at any age.  The earlier you can do this, the better investment you will have made for the future. But you have to be sure you can afford it. Good luck!

• Rick

It's a big accomplishment because most people who buy their first home are older than this.  It's something to feel proud of.

A big deal? Well it's unusual, because typically most 22 year olds don't have the funds or financing available to make a home purchase. Was that your entire question? Whether it's a big deal or not?