Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Has anyone graduated from dental school with an undergraduate degree that wasnt a science? ?

Biology will be the death of me... I can do some, but i am not enjoying it as a major 

Ricardo: What do you mean? 

Yes, but they still had to take and get good grades in all the undergraduate pre-dental biology and chemistry classes.  

The reason so many pre-med/pre-dental students major in biology is that the prerequisites for dental or medical school are so similar to those of the major.  Selecting a different major usually means having to take more courses overall to meet both the application requirements and the major requirements.  Feel free to contact your academic advisor as well as the pre-dental advisor if your university has  one. 

• MS

I am a psychology professor and I know of one of our psychology majors who went to dental school and was successful there.  You don't need a biology major - you just need the prerequisite courses, good grades, and good test scores.

You do not necessarily have to major in biology, but a number of biology, chemistry, math & other courses are prerequisites for admission to dental school. If you are not completing all your prerequisite courses with excellent grades, and scoring very high on dental school admissions exams, you are not going to dental school.

• John

Dental school admission requirements are similar to those of medical or veterinary schools.  They do not require a specific major, but rather a course of study which is heavy in the sciences.  If you are having difficulties in biology and related courses, you probably need to reconsider your career goals.  

I don't know anyone that went to Dental school that didn't major in bio. Find a career path that has courses that you really do like unless you're willing to consider being a hygienist or maybe work in a dental lab.