Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

What are some good books written by black authors?

I am in 8th grade and my teacher would like me to read a novel written by an African American. I don't really know many African American authors so any suggestions would help. Please keep your suggestions from 200-300 pages. Adult books are fine too, just please keep the suggestions appropriate (no sex, extreme violence, or profanity).

Thank you all so much!

42 Answers

Relevance
  • garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

try roots and that black who was locked up as a slave for 10 years ..most of black movies are from books .

• 2 months ago

1984 by George Orwell is a great book, but it may be a bit advanced for your grade level.

• 2 months ago

Try Walter Mosley's crime novels featuring the character Easy Rawlins. The movie of his novel "Devil in a Blue Dress" is a cracking modern noir film, and features Denzel Washington at his best.

• Cousin
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

James Baldwin, "Giovanni's Room".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I suggest reading something contemporary that you can relate to.  Try President Obama's _The Audacity of Hope_

• 2 months ago

Dhalgren, by Samuel R. Delany. Might be beyond you, though. 

Anything by Alice Walker--such as The Color Purple. Anything by Toni Morrison, such as The Bluest Eye or Beloved.  Anything by James Baldwin. 

• 2 months ago

If you are into science fiction Octavia Butler is a good choice.

• 2 months ago

I recommend "Kindred" by Octavia Butler.  She has written other books too.  There may be some references to sex and violence in "Kindred," but it's not the main thing I think about.  There is reference to the fact that the Master can have sex with whatever slave he wants; but the main character fights him off without killing him.  It is mainly about a modern Black woman being thrown back in time to save the life of the White slave-holder who was one of her ancestors.  If he had died, she would not have been born.  

"Bloodchild" is more like science fiction; a few humans have ended up on the planet of some giant centipede-like creatures, and the needs of the two species lead to them forming families together.  Butler said she got the idea from thinking of what it would be like if botflies were large and intelligent and developed a symbiotic relationship with humans.  

And then there are all the books by Toni Morrison. She's great.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A Lesson before Dying, 286 pages.  Ernest J. Gaines.  Imho it is more of a classic "literary" novel than some of the other novels in this "genre."

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

N. K. Jemisin is an multiple award winning African American author. I’ve read six of her books so far.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.