Bridesmaids Dresses ?

My sister and I are bridesmaids in our brothers wedding. But now my sister is scared because we are broke and wants to back out. How do we ask the bride to pick dresses on the cheaper side without hurting her feelings?

She is really nice so I know she wouldn't care but I don't know how to ask.

Um, Kelly, we're broke--please pick a cheaper dress if you can!

Honesty is the best policy. Just tell her how honored you are to be asked to be in her wedding party but that your financial situation is such that you may not be able to afford to participate. You also need to decide if there is an amount you are willing to spend or if you truly can't afford to buy any dress.  If you can afford $X, then just say, "I can't afford to spend more that $X for everything."  

The bride can then decide whether to pick a dress within your budget, cover the additional costs, or select someone else to be in her wedding.  

Do it ASAP.  The faster this gets resolved the better it will be for everyone.

If it helps, the bride should always ask bridesmaids what their dress budget is, usually not long after picking them.  There's no reason you couldn't initiate the convo, but before doing this, you need to come up with an actual number to give her.  Otherwise, there's no point talking about it.  Also, I don't know what you mean about your sister being broke and wanting to drop out.  If this is true, she needs to have her own, separate convo with the bride.  It's not good form to accept this when you're broke and then have to back out, although it helps if the wedding isn't imminent.

• drip

You tell your brother you can not afford the dresses. I would think your brother would know his own family’s finanacial difficulties. 

If the dress hasn’t been selected as yet, If you can only spend a certain amount of money, you need to tell the bride that ASAP.  

We have never talked about the dresses.  My sister and I wanted to let you know our budget is $100 max.  

Before accepting the position of bridesmaid you should have discussed expenses with her.

Just give the bride a budget that you can afford for your dresses, and tell her that you don't mind not being part of the bridal party if this doesn't work for her. 

unfortunately, that won't happen. it's her wedding. i had to pay for my dress. plus the alterations (which, long story, they ruined my dress and had to get another one and then resize me and alter it AGAIN. i had planned it out so i didn't have it done last minute. but then it ended up being last minute because of their mistake), and my own shoes. bride was a b*tch. wedding just HAD to be during the worst part of the pandemic. wasn't allowed to wear a mask because she didn't want it in her pictures... if this wedding is any time soon, i suggest not going. covid is serious. 

• Foofa

Talk to your brother and ask him to tell his fianceé that you two can only do so much in terms of money. You might also ask your parents if they'd be willing to help subsidize this as it is a family affair. 

You don't ask. You just say, "Clara, we hope it isn't going to cramp your style, but we can only afford to spend $XX.XX on dresses." 

Cancel the wedding if you want him to live a healthy life