What do athiest think of Buddhism ?

Do you find it a silly ideology or what do you think ?

Favorite Answer

I do not know much about Buddhism, but what I understand Buddha did not say whether God exist or  not but told followers  not to worry  or waste time for discussion on the matter  but concentrate  on  present life on earth to make it peaceful, happy  for all .Am I  right?

• david

Sounds about a good as any other. 

YA athiests, unfortunately, are often just as ignorant and bigoted as their Funndamentalist parents. (The style is unmistakable.)  So they assume Buddhists are just like their parents snake-handling cult or whatever.

Come to that whats wrong with worshipping the sun, moon,soil and fertility like our Pagan forebears did? It's not less credible a creed than Middle East and Far East hocus pocus. 

Source(s): The Green Man

Many Buddhists are atheist.

I see Buddhism as a non-violent religion, and in some ways certain sects seem to be rather interesting, however, I would not become involved. Then there is the sect known as Soka Gakkai which  really started gaining members shortly after the end of WWII.  It apparently let young women know that it would not frown on them as bar workers, and therefore, many bar girls became members. I have first-hand knowledge of this group, starting when I first arrived in Japan. They proselytize non-stop.  It is not so well liked by the mainstream Japanese as it started a political arm and is now, I believe the second most powerful political party in Japan. The political party name is different, but everyone knows that it is Soka Gakkai.  

Not anywhere close to an expert but I have read some Buddhist writings. As I understand it, there are tow forms  (and if we did a comprehensive survey probably more), One form is atheistic in nature as it doesn't believe in a god and the other believes in some sort of god(s). 

On one hand, I don't care about it as it has very little influence on government and I have never had a Buddhist try to convert me. I suspect my attitude would be different if Buddhism  was intertwined with the Government or if everyone around me expected me to be a Buddhist as was shocked if I wasn't.

There is nothing in pure Buddhism that conflicts with atheism.  That is not a question that Buddhism answers.

I do know that Buddhists are atheists who value community without dogma to enforce it... And they love instead of hate. 

I also know that Humanists are the same.. 

Our fellow Man comes before a silly Man made, magical  entity... 

It seems odd to consider Buddhism a religion, since they don't feel abject hatred toward others, like the members of other religions do...