Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can I request a presidential pardon for my 2006 DUI even though I am not famous and have no political ties?

I feel the 2 month sentence was too harsh since I was 19 and my attitude was the result of alcohol and frustration about my Dad's alcoholism. I am older now, my Dad has died, and I have gone sober to avoid falling into alcoholism. Sober since 2009 when my father died. His funeral reception I got drunk and realized I was falling into the same pattern and never drank again. 


Would I get a pardon if I requested a presidential pardon? I served two months in jail and had an attitude towards the cop and the judge (gave the judge the finger). Again, not proud of it but wondering if I can be pardoned now that I have shaped up and gotten my act together? 


I also discovered I have Bipolar Disorder. That was determined when I got help when I was falling into alcoholism. 

4 Answers

  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    The President cannot grant pardons to state crimes You would have to request a pardon from you governor or if he cannot grant pardons, like in Georgia, your state Board of Pardons and Parole,

  • 2 months ago

    Yes, you can request. No, you will not get a pardon.

  • Katy M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Congratulations on being 11 years sober.  I don't think there's much you can do about your past conviction.  You certainly can't get your 2 months back.  Since it was non-violent and so long ago, future employers may not look too harshly upon it.  If you have the money, you can talk to a lawyer, but I don't know if they'll be able to do anything.  A pardon from the Governor (as someone else pointed out this isn't a federal crime) isn't going to happen, but there's a very very very slim to no possibility that you can get your record sealed.

  • 2 months ago

    A DUI would be a State charge. And the President can only pardon Federal charges. So, no.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.