Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

What percentage off should we renegotiate on a house we are buying because one of the owners committed suicide off the back deck?

We are buying a house from a divorcing couple. The offer was accepted, inspection took place, settlement date was set. The husband hung himself off the back deck 3 days ago. We're still maybe interested in going through with it but renegotiating a percentage off to protect ourself for future resale. We've had a difficult time finding a house and prices are trending upward. The house is estimated at 730,000 but needs some updates. We have no small children moving into the house, which would've been a deal breaker. Our grown children don't have a problem with it. 

Update:

Wow. Most of you are trolls. Yes, we had agreed on a price. Yes, I have the option of backing out. Yes, it does affect the value of a home because it would turn off many buyers. (stigmatized property Anywhere from 15% - 50%) Yes, I was respectful of the surviving seller. Yes, we thought about backing out. That is why she offered to negotiate a price to be out from it. 

Update 2:

We need to think about something fair in case we have trouble selling it in a few years while being considerate to the seller. No, it doesn't have to be disclosed UNLESS they ask. Yes, people find these things out. I was expecting professionals who have come across this before not uneducated trolls. Thank you to the few who gave real answers.

29 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Just because someone hung himself has NOTHING to do with the value of the home.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why would you expect professionals to be answering questions for free on a generic low-quality Q&A site?

The house isn't going to be "stigmatized." This isn't a case of a dangerous neighborhood or poisonous chemicals on the site. A woman killing her husband rather than divorce him is not a threat to future residents. Unless there's something psychologically damaging about the house that drove her crazy.

The death didn't even take place inside the house. If you're really creeped out by being in the same location as a death, then replace the deck.

• car253
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It IS the law that you have to disclosure when someone dies in the home.   That is why the seller disclosed that to you.    Very few people want to buy a home where someone has died.    So, down the road you will find the home hard to sell and/or get the price you want for it.  

I think this is a difficult choice.    It will forever be in your mind that man died.    I don't think that is worth discounting at any price.   I wouldn't do it.  

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why would you think his death entitles you to a discount?  Or to invalidate the contract?  If you have something  else that gives you the right to back out, and you want to, go ahead.  But expecting a lower price is just ridiculous.   And a suicide, sad though it is, isn't some heinous crime that will affect the house's price down the road.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

remember you can negotiate but the seller can refuse  , see what they want and pay it , chances are they know it is hard to sell .

• 2 months ago

Mass murders and deaths involving celebrity's are the ones that get stigmatized, not random people dying in their homes.  That sort of thing happens everyday and the reason you don't know that fact is because it doesn't stigmatize the properties where it occurs.  

Where I come from you can't back out of a contract, hence the whole purpose of entering into a contract.  The parties of the contract (buyer and seller) can agree to void the contract, but unless the death was contingency of the contract, you are on the hook for paying the original agreed upon contracted price.  Don't believe me?  Ask your lawyer.  

If you are going to demand a discount based upon what could happen, you should also include the possibility that the neighbors all get foreclosed reducing your property value, the possibility that the zoning gets changed next door to allow for a methadone clinic to open and the possibility that a zombie apocalypse will occur and use your neighborhood as a base. 

• 2 months ago

I doubt you'll get ANYTHING off. If the market is what you say, there's no reason for the seller to give you any discounts. The suicide was obviously disclosed. That's not a normal reason for any discounting, though.  A murder--that's different. It can and sometimes does lower the value of a property. But owner-suicide?  Never heard about that lowering one. 

You can ask for whatever you think you ought to get, but be prepared to be turned down. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You have obviously never purchased a home because you don't have a clue how it works.   My guess is you're a 17 year old virgin who needs a little more adult supervision during homeschooling.

P.S.   My parents' next door neighbor killed his wife by beating her skull in in the masterbedroom.   So what?   No, prior deaths DO NOT have to be disclosed because they do not materially affect the property.    Carpet replaced, room painted, done.

You truly have no clue what you are talking about and you are a moron.   If you don't want the house, don't buy it.   If you want it, buy it.   But you aren't going to get the price lowered and if you try you're going to be told to pound sand.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Assuming there was no damage or lingering effects of a deceased body in the house, wtf do you think you should get a discount?

• 2 months ago

If the deal was already accepted you can't re-negotiate!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.