Michael asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

What was the root cause of the American Civil War?

I think the main cause of the war was slavery.  Some people say it was about states' rights.  But I think that view is a cover-up of what was really going on at the time.  The South strongly wanted to preserve slavery because the southern economy depended on it.  I think that was the reason South Carolina stated when it seceded in December 1860.  The North fought the war to preserve the Union.

Favorite Answer

'' The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.''

Confederate Constitution 1861.

It's not either-or, it was both. 

• gerald

You are probably right Michael the north was becoming industrialised like the rest of major trading nations and slavery wasnt needed with tractors and trains and cotton mills it was time for change ,