Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

What dog is closest to a fox?

Domesticated / pet. 

Favorite Answer

Japanese Spitz looks like Arctic fox.

basil brush.......................

None, foxes are a separate species, they can't crossbreed with dogs.

• "What dog is closest to a fox?"  • "Update: Domesticated / pet."

Traditionally, a Foxhound. Or a Fox Terrier if the fox has gone underground.

But in reality it is whatever pooch that currently has its teeth WELL into the fox.

Mind you - in most countries fox hunting is now illegal.

And so I doubt that any PETS are allowed to attack a fox.

Apart from [Robert], who doesn't know how to punctuate breed names, the other folk have all "translated" or "interpreted" what you typed as if you were asking:

● "What dog BREED LOOKS MOST LIKE a fox."

That MIGHT have been what you MEANT, but it is NOT what you actually ASKED !

So I've answered what you ASKED.

No,"Graff" doesn't look like a fox, nor like a Foxhound, nor like a Fox Terrier. But he IS the dog-breed I prefer. Apologies for the faded pigments in the old Polaroid film before I scanned it.

👵[grannny]👵: WHY can't you simply paste in the WEB-ADDRESS of whatever site you consider worth reading?

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

I presume you mean to look at and in that case I would say a Shiba Inu,  however,  they are not a breed that are easy to raise and handle and your first priority in getting a dog is get a breed that you are suited to and not go by looks alone.  

• Robert

Fox terrier.   

None, foxes are a separate species,  so are jackals.  They can't crossbreed with dogs.

(c/p)  Some of the most fox-like dog breeds include:

Shiba Inu, the oldest and smallest Japanese breed renowned for its foxy appearance.

Finnish Spitz, a lively, alert family dog.

Jindo, a loyal, independent dog from Korea.

American Eskimo, an agile companion dog with fox-like pointed ears.

Long-haired Chihuahua.

The Truth about Dogs vs. Foxes - Rover.comwww.rover.com › blog › the-truth-about-dogs-foxes-in

I just googled your question & this is the very first site listed.

None.   Foxes are vulpes..  Not canids

• ?

As Veschengro said, foxes are not the same as dogs. Example: the red fox is a sub genus (Vulpes, vulpes) of the sub-family Caninae.  Their are very efficient hunters & scavengers and have multiplied and so "over-killed" rodents (often more than they can eat) they have become a PEST in many locations.

Many breeds of dogs hunt (sporting, hound) in various ways and terriers are particularly good at going after rodents, but none of these dogs LOOK LIKE foxes.  The few breeds that look LIKE foxes are not related to them, and do not have the same behaviors or purpose.