Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballUEFA Champions League · 3 months ago

How do clubs in the Uefa Champions League qualify into the Europa League, what is the rule that determines this ?

I thought I had an idea but I forgot.

I can't speculate on something I have simply no idea about, but i know its not clubs who finish bottom of their group stages.

so it must be a selection of the best 3rd placed group stage finishers ?  surely its not, surely its clubs who reached the round of 16 ?

and how many from Champions League qualify into Europa League exactly ???

• Adam
    Favorite Answer

Depends on what stage (as you've not specified), all of these are based on this year

17 teams eliminated from Champions League first qualifying round

3 teams eliminated from Champions League preliminary round

Enter the champions path of the Second qualifying round of the europa league

8 of the 10 teams eliminated from Champions League second qualifying round (Champions Path)

Enter the champions path in the third qualifying round of the europa league

3 teams eliminated from Champions League second qualifying round (League Path)

Enter the Main path in the 3rd qualifying round of the Europa League

5 teams eliminated from Champions League third qualifying round (Champions Path)

2 of the 10 teams eliminated from Champions League second qualifying round (Champions Path)Enter the champions path in the playoff round of the europa league

4 teams eliminated from Champions League play-off round (Champions Path)

2 teams eliminated from Champions League play-off round (League Path)

3 teams eliminated from Champions League third qualifying round (League Path)

Enter the group stage of the europa league

8 third-placed teams from Champions League group stage

Enter the knockout phase of the europa league

This however will change big style next year when they introduce the Europa Conference league and some teams from the champions league and europa league will drop into that competition

Source(s): Mostly copied directly from wikipedia and checked against UEFA
  • Petter

It's all 3rd placed teams in the Champions League groups that qualify for Europa League. Eight teams in total, since there are eight CL-groups.