Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

How long does it take to learn how to drive stick like a pro?

Only drove automatic all my life.

• F

An hour? Don’t be ridiculous. Maybe after 5 or 6 driving lesson , you get the basics. Some people never master it completely , grinding gears and butchering clutches.

I have been driving a stick for longer then I care to admit. Factually there are some "pro" tricks I have yet to master. I don't toe and heel, also I can't do a moonshiners turn or the Scandinavian flick.

You can learn how to be competent for most things in a half an hour, but learning all the tricks will in part depend on needing to use them. Some of the pro-tricks are factually ways to ruin a car beyond repair and that happens in the learning curve.

Not very     .

That depends on your level of uncoordination and incompetence. 

it takes a lot more than an hour ..it take experience ..you cant buy that ..you then change gear without even thinking about it ..i have driven manual for 60 years ..you will learn with experience  how to change gear just by listening to the engine .and do it without using the clutch ..even learn how to brake and accelerate at same time ..called heel and toeing ..my present car has auto mode ..plus sequential manual ..plus sports mode ..and flapper paddles ..2 and 4 wheel drive ..personally i actually enjoy auto best!

An hour or so. Go to an empty parking lot and practice working the clutch and gas pedal for a smooth start in low gear and you have the hardest part learned. Shifting to the other gears is really, really easy. The other step that needs to be learned is putting in the clutch when you come to a stop.