Is it possible to start figure skating at 19 and later become a competitive skater?

I’m just now starting figure skating lessons again as the last time I had them, I was too young to really remember anything taught... I have rarely skated since and want to pick up the sport and practice with it. Ultimately, I just want to learn as much as I can to skate recreationally, but I’m also a very competitive person and was wondering how possible it is to eventually enter in competitions (after hopefully taking and passing pre-preliminary + tests eventually, of course) and what the highest level I’d eventually be able to make?

As a bonus, if you’ve been skating for a long time, I’d love to hear about your personal level and how long it took you to get there! It’s more or less unrelated to my real questions, but I love hearing about varying experiences from others.

Possible, but don't try.. 

Hi there! I'm in a similar position looking for this answer but I'll do the best I can to give my thoughts on the matter.

I don't know about professional competitions but if you're still feeling competitive lots of rinks have host rink competitions that are more casual and you don't need to qualify for anything, you just enter into your category and ability level. My rink goes as low as having elements like a two foot jump and two foot spin as the lowest. It's hard to become a competitive figure skater, especially without the funds, but you can still compete no matter what even if it's not on a global scale. Other than that I don't know about professional competitions/starting age.

I started skating at 14, I'm now 18, meaning I have been skating for 4 years. It's been a great experience and when I first started at 14 I had never been to a rink but now I can do all single jumps and spins and am working on my axel and hopefully doubles soon should the rinks reopen in my area. I entered a local rink competition when I started out maybe 1 or two years in, and won bronze! I know it's not first and in many competitions I have come much much closer to last, but you keep going and trying until you win again!

Work hard and don't be afraid to fall, to fail and to do things again a million times. I hope your figure skating journey goes well for you like mine did for me.