Anonymous

Is is better to say African American or Black people?

A friend of a friend  says people of black color,   but he's an idiot.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends where they live, as it would be utterly ridiculous to call all black people 'African American' in countries other than the USA.

I'm in the UK and have black family members.  They're happy to be called 'black' just as I'm happy to be called 'white'.

• 1 month ago

That really depends on where they live, doesn't it?  In the U.S., there seems to be a penchant for "African-American", identifying by the continents they originated in & where they now live.  In Canada & the Caribbean islands, they're just known as "blacks."  The same in the U.K., Germany, etc.  By my experience, even those who live in the U.S. prefer to be known as "black."   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I find it pathetic that we have been brow beaten into using a compulsory phrase to describe black people. We are perfectly happy to be called white yet they want special privileges. Our esteemed leaders and lawmakers have no balls.

• 2 months ago

African American, black, person of color are all acceptable. Personally, I think it's best to say black because most black Americans are many generations removed from Africa.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.