Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Does anyone else think Amway mentorship is a sketchy business / mentorship thing? ?

I was at a career fair and met a guy, he was cool. I thought he wanted to be friends, so I gave him my number and we started talking.. he asked me how I felt about mentorship and I said I was game.. to me, mentorship was like my grandpa teaching me right from wrong and how to be a good man. I started the process, then started hearing and reading about amway, once it was revealed that it was a part of the process. They then told me my “business start up fee” would be a meager $367.. I feel bad because I feel like I might’ve lost a friend, but I blocked his number right before I was supposed to hand over the money.. I also blocked his mentor’s number. I’m not a mean person, but money is too hard to save to just toss it away on a possible scam 

• Foofa

Pretty sure most people know that MLMs are all scams. 

It's a scam.  It's an MLM.  The time to get into that was decades ago.  Those few are at the top now.  The newer people keep them at the top and they waste their time keeping the early people in the money.  I wasted two years of my life doing it.  I did everything they said to do.  I had just a few customers, who bought 2 or 3 items a month, far from what was needed.  What they want now is for you to buy everything yourself, and plenty of it.  That's enough to keep "them" going, and you are expected to bring in numerous people who buy all of Amway's products too.  Well, I didn't want much of Amway's products.  A few, yes.  Not the majority.  Not enough to support me, you or anyone.

• ?

Amway is a scam.  They were not your friends.

Amway is a "Multi-Level Marketing' business.  MLM is a euphemism for 'Pyramid Scheme'.  Amway has survived multiple FTC investigations into it being a pyramid scheme (which is illegal) by avoid explicit payouts of member recruiting.

However, recruiting members is something other members are heavily pressured into doing and it's how you make money in these scams.  Amway is just smart enough to keep it indirect which makes it hard for the FTC to prove it's a pyramid scheme.