Mike asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Is there a way to tell if they have to extract your teeth due to periodontal disease?

So, I was diagnosed early in the year, then everyone panicked when covid-19 first happened and the place I go to wasn't available for normal scheduling for like 3 months, then another chain of unfortunate events happened so I'm barely getting in for a root scaling/deep cleaning in December.

All the information I see online mainly says they extract teeth for periodontal disease when teeth become loose, but I've read they can still extract teeth based on certain criteria. Im just scared as hell of losing teeth. I do have some gum recession, but nothing too drastic, that's the only real difference I notice. I've been vigilant at keeping up on my teeth/gum hygiene as well. I was told not to panic, but this is giving me some serious anxiety.

Yep, you're boned.  Once you get periodontal disease it keeps coming back over and over again, no matter how much you brush / floss / mouthwash.  If the pockets were like 4 or 5 mm you might be able to keep your teeth for 10 or even 20 years with good habits.  If they were deeper, like 7 or 8 mm the clock is ticking much much faster.

Unfortunately gum disease and tooth decay is a game of slowing, never stopping.  Teeth just don't last forever.  The lucky ones have good genes and strong teeth / gums and the decay is slow enough that they go their entire lives without serious impairment of dental health, but most people are not that lucky.  

If humans find a way to live for 300 years virtually nobody will die with their original teeth.

• Tavy

You are reading nonsense .

Periodontal disease can be managed. A medicated mouthwash helps, and loose teeth can tighten up again once the gums are healthy.

No Dentist will remove your teeth without your permission.

Never, EVER go online looking for medical advice. Just wait until your appointment and discuss your concerns with your dentist then. Tooth extraction seems like an option that would be used when there are no other options available, and I would think you are not to that place yet.