does vacuum sealing preserve food or just better way to store without air?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Vacumn sealing,and "storing without air" (as you called it) are one and the same thing by definition.Air,and moisture are the two culprits that cause food to go bad.By removing the air (and moisture as a secondary effect) you automatically preserve whatever it is for future use with far less damage.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is not as though it preserves Food, rather it takes out the air from foods so the food will not oxidize-like for meat. Much of the meat in my freezer has been vacuum sealed, and it saves space in the freezer too.

Some dry foods can be vacuum sealed as well, such as rice or flour-to keep it longer. Ever need a cup of flour and have to buy a 5 lb. bag? Vacuum the rest, it will keep and not get bugs. 

Things like trail mix can be vacuum sealed to save space in a backpack. 

I used to dry and vacuum seal home grown fresh vegetables to ship to others around the country. Keeps it from spoiling. 

• 2 months ago

Vacuum sealing does some of both, but most of what it preserves is quality and texture, not longevity.  

Vacuum sealing removes air, which in turn helps prevent freezer burn and helps the food (once thawed and cooked) retain the taste and texture of fresh-cooked even after freezing.  Foods that get freezer burned are still safe to eat after freezing (you won't get sick) but you will notice that the taste and/or the texture of the food might be *off* in a way that is unpleasant.

Many dishes (soups and stews and chili, especially) can be made in double batches and half put in the freezer for another day, which is a great way to cook ahead.  Those are all fine for 6 months to a year, as long as the air is removed from the freezer bag before freezing.  And you don't need a vacuum sealer to do that.  You can easily do it by just pressing the contents to all edges of the bag before you seal it, freeze it flat, then stack them vertically so you can see what you've got!  

• 2 months ago

Vacuum sealing removes the air from contact with the food, so food cannot oxidize. I have vacuum sealed frozen ribeye steaks and eaten them three years later, and they were delicious. I also often buy 2-pound blocks of cheese, slice one pound and seal the second one, and store in the refrigerator for several months with no decline in food quality.

Vacuum sealing does not sterilize food, it does not take the place of pasteurization from the canning process. You should not store vacuum-sealed food at room temperature.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I use it for freezing meats mostly, and didn't really do much of that until this pandemic and it's food shortages.  The difference vacuum sealing makes is that something that is good in the freezer for 1-2 months when just in a plastic bag or plastic container is now good for up to a year, maybe longer, if vacuum sealed.  

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A bit of both, it may keep the product for a few days,  And it stores products without air.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Vacuum sealing alone won't preserve perishable foods.

But removing the air from foods that will be frozen will help preserve the quality/texture/taste of the food that is frozen. 

Freezer burned food is safe to eat, but it can taste like your dead grandmother's foot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.