Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

For someone who has divorced at least 3 times before, is s/he still required to say "till death do us part" in his/her next wedding?

NOBODY is required to say that. 

• ?

You can customize / write your own vows. I didn't have that said at my wedding either. I don't want to think about death, when I'm starting a life together with some one. 

You clearly don't take marriage seriously - why even bother getting married a fourth time? It's just a joke at this point for you. If I was invited to someone's fourth wedding, I wouldn't even bother going.

• ?

No one is "required" to say anything during their wedding vows and couples write their own all the time. 

It's not required for anyone.  I've been married twice and never said it. The only thing  you're required to do is affirm that you take so-and-so to be your spouse. 

• drip

You can write your own vows. Doesn’t matter if you have been divorced or not.

That's part of the standard vow, and the promise being made (at the time).

But also - optional.

no reason a divorcee should get married again. 

• ?

No one is required to say anything of the kind, at the first wedding or any other.

Set aside all the flowery verbiage you hear in the movies and the officiant has basically one duty: to ask if each person is being married of his/her own free will, and get some answer in the affirmative. 

There's no legal requirement to include that. We wrote our own vows--well, mostly *I* did while he played handball--and we didn't have anything like that.

Not that we won't remain together until one of us dies.

But I'd look closely at whether the thrice-divorced person is capable of a sustained commitment. Marriages fail for all kinds of reasons, but it's rarely entirely one person's fault.