? asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 2 months ago

Will 150w RMS speakers work well with a 125w RMS amplifier?

Hi, I bought an 'Audio Control d-6.1200' amplifier for my car which puts out 125w RMS @ 4ohms. I want to buy some 'Crescendo Audio UN-65' speakers which are rated at 150w RMS @ 4ohms. The problem I am worried about is damaging the amplifier since I've heard underpowering speakers will strain the amp, however since the power difference is not major like say a 150w amp to 300w speakers I thought maybe this setup could work. 

There's no problem with this combination. Underpowering is a myth. What do you think happens when you turn down the volume?

It would work fine. Under powering speakers is a myth. That wont damage an amplifier. I have a 1500 watt one channel mono amp that is connected to two 12" subs that are only 400w RMS. No issues at all. You can also limit the power the speakers get from the amp, so that the speakers don't blow.

Exactly what the monthly Bill man have said.

• Bill

They will work fine.  I have used 10W amplifiers to run speakers rated for 100W.