Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

What are the right expressions for me to put on my Christmas cards this year acknowledging the dark year we’re having?

Like do I say merry Christmas and happy new year like everything is merry and happy? Do I write some thing like wishing you comfort during these dark times? 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course you can still be cheerful during these trying times. 

How about something like, "May the Christ Child warm your heart and give you hope and prosperity in the coming New Year"

• 2 months ago

Well, you cheer people up  by saying something like: "Well, at least we don't have the clap.

• 2 months ago

have a happy and merry xmas now that trump isnt the president

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"May there be Peace on Earth and May the New Year be Happy."

The Christmas card has always expressed those two *wishes* - for peace and happiness. They are wishes for what could be, not exclamations they we have them.

"May you be happy as well as hopeful."

"Wishing you Health and Joy."

"Though We Can't Meet, We Won't Be Parted."

"We Celebrate Together though we are more than Six Feet Apart."

"Best Wishes From Our Socially Distanced Site to Yours."

"Isn't it wonderful to greet each other by post?" 

If you can draw, draw Santa or Rudolph wearing a mask.  "HO HO How do you wear this mast over the beard?" Or "My red light shines through all masks."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

"Merry Christmas, and 2021 can't help but be better than this year."

• P.L.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You could write something similar to "Let's hope that the coming year will be much better than this one has been".  If they don't know what you are referring to it might prompt them to ask and then you can explain how bad it's been.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Try "Wishing you comfort and joy in trying times. May the New Year be much brighter."

I wouldn't use "dark" times. That's a little too apocalyptic, I think.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Write the year the date and also "The Year Biden Cheated by using Covid -19, BLM, and Voter fraud to win the Election." Then twenty years from now when they tell us the truth it will be worth some dough. They always tell us the TRUTH twenty years later when it's too late.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Depending on the person receiving the cards you may perhaps may remind others of how our parents and grandparents themselves have faced much worse and more serious situations than we are with the virus.

Yes we have lost almost 270,000 people from the virus. But our grandparents dealt with the depression and world wars. Our parents also dealt with given wars, gun violence. Hateful people bombing Planned Parenthood Centers, Churches and Government buildings. Some of your parents and grandparents may have even faced hatred just because of their race or nationality. Yet through all the uncertain times, we as a nation and as one people always had the ability of coming together. We always had the ability of showing respect and support for others. We came together during the Aids epidemic as well as other issues like on 9 -11.

We have come together and offered support for others during natural disasters as well. The same so called red state people barking at blue state people were also the very first people to pick up the phone to offer assistance to the "same so called blue state people" whom the so called red state people were just recently barking at. And it's the same way with people in so called blue states whom are the very first people not to make things "personal" and whom were prompt to offer assistance and help others in those so called red states. During the times they themselves needed help, Because when it is all said and done we are one country and one people. And despite the loud verbiage that you may hear from a very very very small group of attention needy people; we the people will indeed continue to move forward. We will indeed get past the virus issue.

It will be easier when everyone is on the same page which I am sure is already starting to happen. Because as always people in our country know that we are all in this situation "together." You are indeed welcome to use my comments for your holiday message. All the best.

• 2 months ago

I believe Christmas especially, and also New Year, are times of rejoicing no matter what kind of a year anybody is having.  

If anybody in the family has died or is in hospital, sympathy for this should be expressed quite separately, not in the same envelope with the Christmas card!

If you prefer to emphasize Peace on Earth and Hope for the New Year rather than rejoicing and merrymaking, that is fine.  It should still be happy, not gloomy.

Keep in mind that the Christmas and New Year celebrations have traditionally been intended to break up the gloom of the darkest time of year.  They are not Midsummer celebrations, when living is easy already.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.