Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can my neighbour sue me ?

Hi can my neighbour sue me for saying he is a weirdo. Today I said to. My partner we will move the plant pot near the weirdos Fence I wasn't sure whether they heard me or whether he was In the garden 

There is nothing baring anyone suing from pretty much anyone else for just about any reason. Your neighbor could sue you for smashing your car into his, even if neither of you own a car. Your neighbor could sue you for wearing a green shirt of Tuesday and causing him mental grief.

The pertinent questions would be if any suit they file could be summarily dismissed, and if not, would he have a chance of winning his suit.

If your neighbor decided to sue you for defamation (libel since it was spoken words) for calling him a weirdo, you probably wouldn't be able to get the case dismissed, but at trial, the evidence would (hopefully) bear out that all you did was call him a weirdo, which wouldn't be considered libel since it's merely stating your opinion. You have a first amendment right to state your opinion.

edit: noticed from your spelling that you're not likely in the United States, so you don't really have a first amendment right to state your opinion, but I would guess that the UK has similar laws.

Under the conditions you describe, your neighbor would have the right to engage in legal action, but since he would have no damages, his case would quickly be dismissed.

Yes, he can sue you for defamation.

Yes anyone can sue anyone else.  To win they will need to prove your statement is untrue and then prove how they were damaged by the statement.