Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Should I be myself or who I should be?

I have an older brother and two younger sisters and my dad and mom, my family is rich and my mom doesn’t have to work. Most people would say I’m pretty lucky, but there’s way more that they don’t see. My brother is always getting his way, he can throw a big fit (he’s 17) or say he doesn’t want to go somewhere and he gets to stay and doesn’t get in trouble. My younger sister (10) is really shy and hardly talks so she gets praised for when she does, then my youngest sister (6) is spoiled and always is getting new stuff. But me (13), I get yelled at for doing absolutely nothing and if I do what they ask perfectly, they say I did it wrong. My dad is always calling my friends hoodlums even though we just ride bikes and stuff like that. I learned when I was little that if you want respect you have to gain power, and when your little you confuse respect with love. All I wanted was love and now I think they are all afraid of me, and I’m trying to be who I really am now but they refuse to have the real me. My worst fear is being alone so do I play it safe and have fake care or risk them leaving just to find someone who really cares? I would always go with the “be yourself”, but I get so afraid of being alone sometimes that I have a panic attack, so I’m not sure what to do.

i think you can only be yourself

I read your question with a lot of interest.

First you talk about your fear and anxiety because you have panic attacks if your family doesn't accept you and your personal behavior.  Why?

What is there about your behavior that makes it unacceptable or unbearable for them?  What is it that you're doing?

Next, ask yourself if you are doing this for attention and what kind of attention you want form all of them?

Being yourself and having confidence in what you do and believe in is an adult life skill.

You might find it interesting by checking out 'pecking order'.  You & your siblings have a pecking order from the oldest down to the youngest.  In a litter of puppies they have a pecking order too.  By understanding pecking order you may find that being yourself if the best way to go.  The oldest is usually the most dominate & the youngest is the most submissive & you fit in in the middle.  Middle children often have the same fears as you & it is understandable why you have the fear of being alone.  Some times you want to be close to the oldest & some times you want to be close to the youngest.  You are torn.  Being in the middle is hard.  So is being the youngest.  I was the oldest of 5.

Getting yelled at for no reason is child abuse.  Notify the authorities or a guidance counselor or Physician.  You could be placed in the foster care system until you turn 18.  Your rich family will not matter.  You will be equal with all of the other children.

Try telling a friend about it and talk to your parents or a trusted adult 

You should read the New Testament.  Start with the Gospel of John.  There are lots of answers to life's problems in the Bible.  Pray for God 's will and direction in your life.  Ask Jesus to save you.  Follow Him as best you can.  He is a faithful friend.  I asked Him into my life as Lord and Savior many years ago and He has helped me with all sorts of problems and blessed me a lot, as well as given me assurance of a home in heaven.  Don't waste your life.  One of the first things you should do is honor your parents. Regarding panic attacks, look up Philippians 4:6-8.  Count your blessings.  Develop a thankful attitude toward God.  Stop taking things for granted.  Be thankful for a good home and that your parents care for you.