louise asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Dog with a broken knee??

Hi,

I just wanted to ask a quick question. 

My dog ran around the bathroom after his bath and slipped, I was facing the other way so didn’t see it.

However, he was in so much pain he wouldn’t put his leg down and was screaming so we got him an emergency vets appointment, the vet said he’s broken his knee and maybe his hip but she couldn’t x ray it until Monday, so sent him home with painkillers.

He had an awful day yesterday and was in so much pain, he couldn’t even get up for a wee we had to hold him.

But today he’s woken up and is 90% better, it does still hurt him every now and again but he walks on all four legs and he climbed the stairs just fine.

Would he be able to walk on it if it was broken? 

I’m just curious, I’m obviously still going to take him back to the vets first thing for the x ray but do you think he’d walk on it if it was broken ? 

• PR

The fact that he is feeling much better is a good sign. We also had a kitten who had run around and hurt her "wrist". We did not really know what she had done. I wrapped it lightly, and allowed her to rest it, and now she is fine. 

If the dog is still limping or in pain, take her to the vet tomorrow. Until then, don't worry too much about it. Keep her quiet until then. Of course, the pain killers may be helping to some degree.

better to be safe than sorry and get the x ray

The knee is not broken if he uses the leg.  If he didn't use the let at all & carried it high, the limb would be broken.  He is using his leg so it isn't broken.  Probably just pulled muscles & tendons & will still hurt but it is not broken.

• Amber

How did this vet know for sure he'd broken his knee without an x-ray?

She just sent you home with pain killers? Could x-ray until Monday? This is an emergency vets for christ sake taking x-rays is all they do. I don't believe a word of this story.

• ?

Absolutely NO WAY should he be climbing stairs. 

'Broken his knee'  is more likely to mean 'ruptured his cruciate ligament'  and as such,  he will do more damage if you allow to move around too much on this. 

A ruptured cruciate is most usually done in this manner by slipping on the floor.  

If so you are talking about an expensive operation and 12 weeks of very very careful recuperation.  

From what you describe it is also possible this is a partial rupture but if so then you will need slow recuperation otherwise it will fully rupture. 

• ?

He shouldn't be climbing the stairs.  I have no idea if it's broken, but he needs x-rays to be sure.

My dog slipped on wet grass, took her to Vet, said it "might" be broken, might be a sprain, keep her quiet, bring her back the next day.  He gave me pain medication for her and said to keep her QUIET because she could do further harm and not realize it due to the pain pills.  It ended up to be a "small fracture" (if there is such a thing), but, more important, a torn ligament.  Surgery was expensive, she recovered, but she limped until she died (of cardiac arrest) some 8 years later.

• Maxi

Yes dogs will suffer from pain and still get on with life and with painkillers dogs will think they are 100% OK...you really should not be allowing it to walk up stairs and of course the dog needs to go back to the vets to find out what the issue is, but even without an xray any vet can tell if there is a break or not...the xray just shows where it is and how bad the break is