Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Sink in center island pros and cons?

Hi we planning to build house. Model we like have sink in flat center island. Anyone have any experience whats pros and cons of it ?  The house we live right now have sink in corner of kitchen near stove no issues so far with tht style. 

What your thoughts?

Thanks 

• Hannah

Do you live in a cold climate?  A sink that’s on an exterior wall under a window will have a greater risk of having the pipes freeze since they’re in an exterior wall.  

This is a subjective question.  From my perspective I consider what I would be looking at when doing dishes by hand and how much counter space I would have near the sink, apart from counter space required for food prep, and its location in reference to the dishwasher.  Thus I prefer to have a kitchen sink at a kitchen window and an island separate for food prep only, or an additional small sink on the island to incorporate a "wet bar" in the kitchen.  But you may want something else.

It's personal preference.  An island sink means dirty dishes will be in the middle of the room more.  If it's a large island, that may be okay.  If it's smaller and/or doubles as a bar/eating space then that may not be desirable especially if all at the same level.  They can be nice for someone prepping food with people over and also during clean up.  It's the day to day stuff and how you think you'll handle the area that matters.  It would also mean your dishwasher would be there too.  Make sure you have water running to the fridge so that you don't have to figure out how to run it later if desired.

I agree with putting the sink at the window.  Personally I wouldn't want a kitchen without that window view at the sink. A sink on the island could also mean stacked up dishes and glasses, making it look messy.  Kitchen islands look best when there's little clutter on them.  

Always put the main sink against a window  that has a view of nature.