J asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

I think I embarrassed my little sibling on their game..?

My little sibling plays this game where they can use a headset with a microphone so they can talk to their friends while it plays; so today I heard them get frustrated and start to cry, while they were on the headset, so you can hear it throughout the game as well, after a bit I went in there and it seems they exited off whatever it was and I asked what’s wrong.

Begins to clumsily explain what happened and I would try to clumsily explain that they were messing with them because they get frustrated so easily but that is until I heard our echoed voices from the tv and realized; they never turned the microphone off when they exited the game.

I told them to turn it off, they did, and as I opened my mouth some of the most amazingly great wise words of an older sibling said, “ everyone can hear you crying. Don’t cry while your on the microphone everyone can hear you, it’s embarrassing, at least turn it off before you get frustrated.”

I don’t think my words were of great comfort. They were quiet, and I knew I goofed. I said some more awkward words and left.

They are still playing, I think and I really want to talk about it with them again but I don’t want to make them feel embarrass all over again.

Should I go and talk with him again? Or just leave it?....or am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill?

you could try apologizing

You did what you felt was the right thing to do at the time.  Now you should step back and let your sibling handle the matter.  He or she won't learn how to appropriately handle their frustrations if his older sibling interferes.  Don't say anything unless your sibling asks you first.

• .

You can apologize for interfering, although it sounds your bringing it to their attention was also helpful.