Do I have the right to be mad?

I’m in a really tough spot right now financially. I’m in school with a year left and won’t be able to afford both rent and school. I’ve exhausted all my options and it looks like I’ll have to crash on my mother’s couch until I finish or take a semester off and save. 

I’ve been with my partner for 2 1/2 years and he has his own place. He knows what’s happening right now but has not offered to let me stay with him. We’re both almost 30 years old. 

Do I have the right to feel upset or hurt about this? 

Why should you be mad? Move-in with him and finish school.

• Audrey

Yes. After 2 1/2 years he should offer to let you stay there. I would re-think this relationship.

• Min

Yes. I would’ve stopped contacting him and see how long it takes for him to figure out that there’s something wrong. He would get the “I’m going thru some things and I just feel like we aren’t on the same page”. Cause we know at 30s things should be moving a lot faster and if he doesn’t feel like it’s the best time to offer help. Who knows if he will ever step up to that plate. 

• Foofa

Yep. You also have the right to ask him where he sees this relationship going as you're old enough and have been dating long enough for this to be a serious thing. If he's not even contemplating you two ever living together it may be time to break up and find someone more marriage minded. 

yes, sure you have the right to feel upset or hurt.

• East

Yes but you ought to give him a chance.  Ask him if you can stay in his place.  Maybe there's a legitimate reason why he hasn't offered.  I would try to hear him out.  The response that you get may not be one that you like, though.

He's not a mind reader. You can be upset all you want but what is that going to accomplish? Bitterness? Resentment? Instead of being hurt or upset consider channeling that energy into something more productive and constructive. Ask, without demanding or expecting anything, where he stands on the two of you living together. He's either not ready or interested or he isn't sure where you stand on the issue. Be an adult and communicate, don't just expect him to offer and then get upset he hasn't.

Of course you have the right to whatever emotions you have.

That doesn't mean emotions are always justified or logical.   They're just emotions.

By the age of 30 and after 2.5 years of dating, you would have already discussed moving in together, blending income and financial responsibilites and/or marriage if you felt like the relationship was moving forward.    Relationships don't magically progress because you're broke and don't want to live with mummy.