Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

Is it hard to move to 🇯🇵 Japan?

I want to move there to teach English.  

If you have at least a BA degree and a job skill they need , not hard at all .

Moving to any foreign country can be a real pain in the behind, shipping all your stuff. Unless you use a moving company, which makes it very simple, but they sure as hell don't do it for free.

As for being able to live in Japan, it is not "hard", but there is the usual bureaucratic paperwork, plus finding a place to employ you or a school that will take you in. If the latter, you will need to have at least 1 million yen available to show you can cover your living expenses.

Finding a place to live can be fairly easy to a migraine, depending on how you do it. This is where foreigners find a lot of difficulty - you find a place through a real estate agency, but many landlords are cold on letting in foreigners, fearing language problems, wild parties, ignorance on following the rules (like sorting garbage), etc. There are some places that get you around all this though, especially for living in Tokyo. If you do it the old school way, you will need to pay around 6 months rent all up front for deposits, first rent, etc, and you'll get very little back when you move out. NO, you don't need $50K - about $5-7K is enough.

Be prepared, it’s very expensive, I took $50,000 there and spent it in less than a month and that was being conservative!

• Aaron

I don't know the difficulty of moving to Japan,but i think that you should live in the japan for at least 10 years straight ,and you can communicate with Japanese people fluently,and can be conversant with Japanese culture and traditons,customs,I think that if you meet these criterion ,I believe that you can apply for Japan's citizenship ,

If you want to make a career out of it, have your Masters in TESOL, etc. or plan on getting one. However, there are fewer and fewer good positions out there because of contracting out and so on. If you just want to go for a year or two, yeah I guess making 25 man a month is good enough. 

It's difficult until pandemic is over.

It's really easy. If you know Japanese, apply to any of many schools there.

• ?

It is a the moment but not normally. Getting teaching paperwork is not difficult 

• ?

No. It’s not that difficult. I did it myself for almost 2 years.  I lived in Nishinomiya.