Best manual EQ settings for metal music?

I've got the attached harmon/kardon options for my EQ settings. I mostly listen to metal. Any good recommendations on ideal settings? (As opposed to playing with it until it sounds just "ok")

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The whole point of an equaliser is to allow users to compensate for room acoustics, so there is no universal single ideal setting. It is also useful to compensate for defects in your own hearing

If you set the sliders to form a V-shape then effectively you’re just boosting the low and high frequencies which can make music sound more defined at low volume levels. The effect is pretty much the same as the old “loudness button” which self-appointed hi-fi “experts” used to turn their noses up at. But those buttons were definitely useful if you had to play music at low volume levels. 

At higher listening volumes that setting can cause music to sound ridiculously unbalanced: far too much bass, not enough midrange and voice sounds, and overly bright treble which can overheat the tweeters on some loudspeakers causing them permanent damage.

Ultimately the very thing you didn’t want is the right one if that’s the sound which pleases you most: adjust until it sounds OK. You’re playing for your enjoyment, not for the enjoyment of some hifi armchair warrior who can’t even hear your music played on your system.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Most of the time for anything but classical it's preferential to have the low end and high end be elevated and the midrange be flat lined or even lower.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

My EQ looks like a "V"

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Equalizers can really strain an amplifier. If you turn up some frequencies too much, it can make your amplifier distort and may damage your speakers. Turning up the sound just 3db doubles the power needed.  Most people use equalizers to reduce the output of some frequencies to match the acoustics of their room, since some frequencies are amplified more than others because of furnishings and furniture. You can certainly use the equalizer to tune the music to your liking but beware that it can damage your speakers or amplifiers if you are not careful. The equalizer is not a toy and in fact I do not even own one. People who use equalizers wisely will use a spectrum analyzer to see if their listening room or car interior can emphasize some frequencies too much. If so, then they will use an equalizer to flatten the frequency response. They then refrain from changing the settings. They do not use the equalizer to tailor their music to their own tastes because it will sound tiresome after a while to hear music that is colored by an unnatural emphasis of some frequencies. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The proper use of EQ is correction of problems with the room ---  

which is the origin of the term "equalization" --- 

and doing it without instrumentation requires that it be "made to sound just OK". 

The response of the whole setup (room included) should be acoustically "flat"   

so that the sound character intended by the performers and producers can be heard.                                

If you are using headphones, the principle of flat response still applies, 

but in that case the only "room" is the small volume of air 

between the transducers and your eardrums.                 

People who set the controls to the typical "smile" curve are misusing their EQuipment.    

I notice that your adjustments as shown are all boosted. 

That is not good practice.   

If the curve you are using is what you want, 

lower all of the settings equally until they are as well centered as possible, 

which means that some will be above and others will be below the "0" line.  

An equalizer should Always be adjusted so that the average output level 

is the same as the average input level. 

Soundcraftsmen (a long-gone but much missed brand) designed its equalizers 

with indicator lights to make setting levels correctly much easier.  

• 2 months ago

If you have really good gear and speakers, all properly set up - then it should be best with everything "flat", on the centre line.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.