East
East asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

OK to try to refer a NON-paying customer to a friend in another company?

I work in a professional services firm (think architect, accountant, etc.).  One of my "customers" is a company ("Deadbeat Company") that doesn't pay me.  I do work for Deadbeat Company, for free, and Deadbeat Company refers other customers to me.  I don't like Deadbeat Company and the other customers that it refers to me are pains in the neck.  My firm knows all of this.

I'm too busy to keep doing unpaid work for Deadbeat Company, so I told Deadbeat Company that I'd try to find someone else to handle its work.

I have a few friends in other firms who might be willing to do unpaid work in the hopes of Deadbeat Company referring other customers to my friends.  However, most people likely wouldn't be.

If I contact my friends and ask for their permission to share their contact information with Deadbeat Company, and they say yes, do I need to tell them that Deadbeat Company won't pay but it will refer customers to them?  Or do I just tell my friends that I can't make any promises about Deabeat Company and let Deadbeat Company ask for free work?

Thanks.

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

Do not refer your friends to that company. That's a lousy thing to do when you know they won't pay. Tell the company you couldn't find anyone to take them on the same arrangement and let them find their own way.  I'm sole practitioner and can't afford to have someone refer deadbeats to me.

I work in a professional services firm (think architect, accountant, etc.).

Think 13 YEAR OLD BASEMENT TROLL.

If you were half as naive as this question IS a claim to be, you wouldn't be in a position to have customers referred to you or to refer customers to anyone.

I am also a professional, employed by contract.  This would be illegal under my employment contract.  I CANNOT refer to other companies for any reason.

I've offered statements of wisdom based upon my strengths of knowledge and experience. This is not a boast, and instead based on feedback from others to me. Here is your wisdom to make you a better human being:

-- Your most valuable possession is your self-integrity. Research exactly what it is and you will also learn that many things flow from it. With self-integrity, you also earn respect of other people. In a nutshell, "Do what's right." You already know what that is. Some people will sell their soul for personal gains, or go through their life cheating. I'm an atheist, and not going to bring religion points in this, and instead say that you become a better person to yourself and others, if you only go through life doing what you know is the right thing to do.

You need no other statement on this subject.