Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 2 months ago

In Chess, is it possible to still win after losing the Queen?

Yes.   Lets say you trade your queen for two rooks.   The queen is worth 9 points but each rook is worth 5 points so point wise you are still ahead.   The two rooks can cover a total of 14 spaces assuming they do not run into something.  That is 28 total  The queen on the other hand can only cover 27 spaces.    Two rooks can work together to mate someone,  the queen can not do it by itself.   And so on.   You often give up the queen to improve your position on the board.     

The short answer is yes. The more detailed answer is it depends on the knowledge base of both players. I played a guy in the Army who deliberately traded off pieces including the queen because he had really good endgame knowledge on how to use just his king and pawns to win. I never did beat him. I had been playing for 13 years at that time and knew very little in retrospect. I have since built up a 87 book chess library since then and have increased my endgame knowledge substantially. All you need to win a game of chess is a King and one Pawn not on the edge of the board. With the right knowledge about opposition you can win every time or if you only have the King you can draw the game instead of losing it.

Source(s): My playing experience and Jeremy Sillman's Endgame Course book
  • Joe

If a queen is lost relatively early in the game, I would say with the right knowledge the player who still has a queen can play strategically and always win, however the odds you posses that ability are rather slim, also sometimes your opponent might deliberately give away their queen, for a tactical advantage, like say you take the queen with a pawn and maybe another piece of yours can move through the now unoccupied space to deliver checkmate

• D50

If you look at the records of famous games, there are many that involve a queen sacrifice to force a win.

two rooks are all you need for checkmate

• Yavan

All you need is a pawn.

While the Queen is the 2nd most powerful piece in the game (with the King being the most powerful, as it cannot be removed from the board per rules of the game), it IS possible to win after losing your Queen.

HOWEVER, losing your Queen does make it harder to win as it's a fairly serious (but a non-fatal) blow to your arsenal of pieces.

Of course. You certainly don't know much about the game.

Does the game end when you lose the queen?  No?  Then I guess it's possible.

Source(s): Small chess knowledge and common sense
  • Matt

Yes, of course it is.