My mechanic says there were 3 cables for the parking brake, Is this true?

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500.  The parking brake cable rusted and now my brakes are grinding.  He said that he there is 3 cables for the parking brake. I've been a backyard mechanic with my dad for long time, I've never heard of 3 cables working the parking brake I tried to do research on the Internet to find anything on 3 cable system for my make model and year. I just want to make sure it's not something new that was implemented that I did not hear about.

Favorite Answer

Yes, there are three cables. One from each rear wheel that goes into a clip attached to the third that goes from the pedal to the rear.

I don't know your exact vehicle, but in general, there is a separate cable from/to each rear brake, and another cable from your parking brake pedal that meets the ends of the other two cables, underneath the vehicle.  So there are likely 3 cables. 

Generally the ones going to the brakes have corroded and won't move.  Sometimes the forward cable corrodes too. 

Parking brake cables SHOULD be greased with white lithium grease every year or so. 

If you have winter with snow and salted roads, this is the biggest enemy to parking brake cables.

Source(s): Been there

Sometimes. One from each rear drum to the central cable to the handle. They all stretch. I've had to replace all 3 in my old Chevy--left a long time with P. brake on

Thinking back, I coulda used a cable clamp to compensate.  Too late, now. 

Thanks you all answered my question its going to be hard selecting the best 

• ?

1 cable from the parking brake lever to the rear of the car. 1 cable to each of the rear wheels. 3 cables total.

• ?

That's nothing new. Usually there's one cable from the pedal, lever or whatever it is which runs back and at some point is connected to two other cables, one to each wheel.  Hence three cables. Mind you, I once had a car which had two separate cables directly from the lever, each of which went to a separate wheel. . . .

• Sky

It very well could be.  My old Dodge minivan's parking brake setup was a single cable going from the pedal to a box under the frame where it connected to two more separate cables which each went to the two back brakes.  If you're going to replace one, you may as well replace all 3 and make sure your parking brake works right.