What predominant ethnicity are the majority of US citizens?

While I am aware that most of white Americans are of mixed ethnicity, what comprises the majority of white Americans in terms of lineage? Would it be English?

• Zirp

anglo-USAian

YOUR ethnicity is the language and culture YOU were raised in - regardless of where your parents and ancestors were from.

British, Irish and German are pretty common ancestries in the USA

Ethnic wise German (14.7% by a study from 2010 to 2015)

Followed by:

Black (12.3%)

Mexican (10.9)

Irish (10.6)

English (7.8)

American (7.2)

"White" is broken down into about 12 different ethnic groups. "Spanish" was not on the list I found.

• ?

Waves of German and Irish immigration dwarfed the earlier waves of Brits and Scots. There are also quite a few Americans with Polish, Italian and Scandinavian ancestry. Also many immigrants to the US from Latin America have Spanish, Portuguese and other European lineage. 

Most speak English but there aren't many Anglicans left here. It's doubtful they were ever the majority outside of colonial New England. They clearly weren't in Nova Hispania.

The US was formed from the cultures that made up the west Roman Empire. It's where the idea of western civilization comes from.

So, I think the US' Latin motto sums it up the best ... but if you don't like that one, we could always just use the confederate's south Latin motto instead (that was said for impact, I don't support that stuff).

e pluribus unum, deo vindice