Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

In front of a married couple. Can I tell them "You and your husband together is a couple and I want this couple to be one of....world."?

Suppose I'm standing in front of a married couple. Can I tell them "You and your husband together is a couple and I want this couple to be one of the happiest couples in the world." or do I have to say "I want your couple to be one of the happiest couples in the world."?

Favorite Answer

you are being more specific than is required ... 'you' in English is both singular and plural, thus when you are with them and say "I want you to be the happiest couple" ... that is sufficient -- the part about 'you and your husband' is redundant in normal English usage.  Now, if you are in front of a large assembled group ... for example; offering a toast at their wedding, then you can use more specific and flowery construction for your speech.  -- grampa

• RP

You could say it either way and it would be fine, not to exclude other options like substituting "you" for your "your couple."

• ?

The subject "you and your husband" is plural so it should be "You and your husband together are a couple." Since they already know that they are a couple, there is no need for you to tell them that.