Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 2 months ago

Are these signs my boyfriend is an illegal immigrant?

My hispanic boyfriend and I have been together for about three years. During this time, I have had some suspicions about whether or not he is illegal, however I am rather uneducated about this topic so I'm not sure if I am off base. My biggest suspicions stems from the fact that his last name is constantly changing, at this point I have witnessed him use four different last names. One time I noticed that the last names he uses on social media are completely different than the last name he has on his drivers license, so I asked why and he told me some weird story about how his birth certificate is messed up and how he legally has to go by his uncles name. Another thing is that he told me he was born in California, but one time I accidentally found his workers permit that stated he was born in Mexico. Keep in mind that this workers permit did not have his last name on it, but instead had his uncles name on it but a picture of my boyfriend. So he has things like a drivers license, health insurance, a workers permit, theyre just all under his uncles name. So I'm not clear if he's just lying to me about his place of birth or if this is a sign his family is illegal.

Also, we met when we were 12 and now we are both in our twenties, so I know his background and his family I don't think the lying of his name means he has a criminal record or hes lying about his identity. 

• Marvin

Using a different name on social media is actually pretty smart because it is a way to avoid identity theft. In this day and age most true identity theft starts with social media.  It is not hard at all to get fake government issued ID using information that most people give away on facebook.  That is why most people use a different name or different spelling.

The rest of the information suggest he is a criminal, and likely an illegal alien.

I know a lot about this because my identity was first stolen in 1993 while I was away in military service/  The thief sold my identity to at least four different illegal aliens who used it to get utilities, rent apartments, etc. My identity was easily stolen by stealing my mail.  These days a thief need not leave his or her house.

The explanation could be simple; his uncle could have adopted him.  I have two different first and last names on two different birth certificate (same date and place of birth of course) because I was adopted.  However, he is apparently telling you lies.  If he has a work permit, he is not a US citizen which he would certainly be if either he was born in CA or he was adopted.  Sounds as if he is hiding something.

You need a different boyfriend.          

• Foofa

Could be that. Could be that he's a felon at large. Could be he's trying to avoid child support. Could be he's hiding out from some organized crime group. Someone born in California wouldn't need a "workers permit" unless they're underage. One wonders what you two talk about if after three years you don't even know this guy's name. 

• Maxi

Really obvious he is committing ID fraud and is illegal

You should have dumped this guy a long time ago! He's an illegal alien & committing multiple identity thefts & identity frauds. You don't know who he is. You don't even know his real name! He lies to you every day since the moment you two met. Get him out of your life. He's nothing but trouble for you.

Just ask to see his visa, his documents.

I think he may be a criminal, but if you want to legalize him, just marry him ...

And for 3 years together it seems to me that you made no effort to really get to know him.