Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 months ago

Can you get taxes not claimed when you were a child?

I always lived with my mother who did not receive child support and no one ever claimed taxes for me. My mother does not work and never did taxes either. Her boyfriend would do taxes for my half siblings. But he never claimed any for me. Is that money lost or could i ever claim it?

Update:

i am now 20 years old

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

As a child, you aren't entitled to ANY taxes.  No one would have had to "claim taxes for you."  Your mom had no income--only child support--which was not taxed. Even if you failed to file under your own income later on, you won't be eligible to get any refunds due you then because there is a limit on how long you can wait before re-filing for refunds not received or due. So your answer is NO. 

• 2 months ago

You were NEVER entitled to child support OR a tax deduction/credit.

NO ONE can claim a refund more then 3 years after the initial filing deadline for the year the refund applies to.

• 2 months ago

Someone who was entitled to it might be able to, that is not you.

• 2 months ago

If you earned any money and filed tax returns, you have 3 years in which to fie an amended return. If you're talking about your Mom's boyfriend not claiming you as a kid, forget it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It was never yours. That's not the way filing taxes works. Since your mother didn't work, she wasn't entitled to any of the credits.  Note that I said SHE was not entitled. Those credits do not go to the child. You have no money due you from the IRS.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can amend a tax return to claim an additional refund due to a mistake or omitted information for up to 3 years from the original deadline.

This means that its already too late for tax year 2016,

Tax year 2017 was due on 4/15/18 therefore amendments for additional refunds must be submitted no later than 4/15/2021.

There is no way for you to just claim a chunk of money because nobody got a tax benefit for you when you were younger. The only avenue would be if someone qualified to claim you and/or get a credit for you and didn't do so. THAT person (not you) could amend their return and claim the money they could have gotten in the first place - as long as the amendment is submitted within that 3 year deadline.

So its possible that your Step Dad could go back and amend his taxes from 2017 forward and add you as a dependent and get a refund for any credits or other tax benefits he qualified for but didn't claim. The IRS honors "step" relationships created by marriage so if he is legally married to your Mom then you are his child as far as the IRS is concerned - and if you meet other rules he has every right to claim you. Also if he's married then he should probably be filing a joint return with your Mom and even if your Mom has no income.

But even if your Step Dad files an amendment and gets an additional refund because he forgot to claim you (or didn't realize that he could), that would be HIS money (and Your Mom's money if it was a joint return), and they have no obligation to give you any of the money or spend it on you. 

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No.  Three years is th  limit.  YOU couldn't claim it in any case, only th bf could  and only if he was eligible to claim you then.  Ther might or might not be any money lost, but if it is, it's way too late now for him to claim it..

• Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most or all of that money is lost.

There is a 3-year window to amend a tax return and claim a refund of tax paid.

It sounds like you lived with your mother's boyfriend and he paid for your needs (home, food, etc). In that case it's likely that he was allowed to claim you as a dependent. He could even have claimed your mother if she had absolutely no income of her own. 

When you were a child you didn't pay any tax, so there's no refund for you to claim. 

If when you started working you thought you were a dependent, then you might have paid more tax than you were supposed to. You can go back and amend your returns from the past 3 years.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your mother never "claimed taxes for you"????  What on earth does that mean?????  No, you can not get a tax refund because your mom (who did not work) or your step-dad chose not to claim you as a deduction on his/her income taxes.

Is that money lost????  No.  It was never yours in the first place.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.