Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 2 months ago

Traveling to new york?

I plan on traveling to New York next week for vacationing and to get a feel of how it is if I decide to move there. I’ve never been and was wondering if I should wait because of the pandemic... any thoughts? Was planning to stay a week. Thanks

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Move to NYC?  Are you stupid?!?!  Dumbazz Dem mayor and governor, high cost of living and taxes.  Fugeddaboutit

• 2 months ago

Yes, obviously wait. This is no time to be travelling unless it's essential, and certainly not for tourism.

• 2 months ago

We live less than 100 miles north in NY State, and right now people from NYC are moving HERE in droves.  The city is dead and most things that appeal to us are closed down.  Most that move here are like the ones in the NY Times article - paying a fortune to buy a fixer, and NO CLUE how to even find someone to repair everything - but they wanna get out if NYC.  This is the wrong time for you to visit NYC for any reason.  

• 2 months ago

Right now is not a good time to go. You either have to quarantine for 14 days on arrival or get a negative test before you go, quarantine for 3 days on arrival and then get another negative test before you go out. You also won't get a good feel for what it's like under normal conditions if you want to move there.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You should wait.  You will have to quarantine for 14 days or test out of that requirement, which still requires a quarantine of at least 3 days.  You also aren't going to get a good feel for what it's like right now, because nothing is typical at the moment.

• Lisa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

This is definitely the wrong time to visit New York.  You won't get a real feel for the city.  The energy level is much lower, lots of things are closed, people won't want to talk to you, and it could be dangerous to your health (as well as the health of others if you happen to bring covid with you).  

If what you want is a vacation, it is much better to wait until you can freely go to all the great restaurants and tourist sites that New York has to offer.

If you are really thinking of moving there then, as part of your trip, it would be wise to apply for a job or two to get a better sense of what's available (not necessarily to accept a job).  Also, you should look at apartments for rent.  Again, this is not to actually find an apartment but, rather, so you can adjust your expectations to reality.  You'll also want to start learning the subway system.  All of this will be much harder during the pandemic.

I highly recommend you wait. . . at least until a vaccine is available and the numbers go way down.  Finally, you might as well go when the weather is nice.  The best time of year, in my opinion, is late spring to mid-autumn.

New York is a great city.  Good luck to you!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.