Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

How can I attempt to write this story I have going on in my head? I have no idea where to begin?

I don't really remember when this started (I think I was 7/8), but I've always thought about these fictional characters I created (a family- can't remember HOW I created them.. they may be slightly based off real ppl). Anyways everyday I spend some small amount of time thinking about them and creating scenes in my head. I'm probably weird, idk.... I've attempted to write stories about them over the years, but I've never finished them. I need some help putting my what's going on in my head on paper!!

At this point, I REALLY know each of them (like everything), so I'm not worried about this part. I have even tried drawing them and creating fake social media accounts for fun haha..

I've always been into creative writing but I am not the best writer, and don't know where to begin. Should I start by writing a novel, or capturing smaller scenes (kinda like short stories?).

I have an idea of a character who I'd tell the story from, but maybe I should try writing in third person? Is there another way to tell a story? 

Often, I begin writing without planning things out. I get excited with all the scenes I have thought over and daydreamed in my head but I have trouble creating a plot of a story. 

Any advice for mapping it out? 

Basically any advice related to writing realistic fiction would help! I'm 17 and I'm not really looking for anything to be published (though that would be cool), I just want to write things down! :) 

Thank you! :) 

Quite frankly, nobody but you cares HOW these characters came into your head, or who they were based on (not "off). The fact is, they're there, and you want to write about them, so why aren't you doing that, rather than babbling on about how MUCH you want to write, and how "weird" you are and how you're "not the best writer"?

None of that matters. Just sit down and start. It is the ONLY WAY.

You just start writing. And everyday reread what you wrote and something else will pop into your head .  It will be out of sequence for awhile, and later on you adjust the sequence of events. It may become something , or not.  Maybe it needs the Incredible Hulk or Thor  or Iron man injected in it?

The bare bones of every story, whether it's a short or a novel:

The main character, who we'll call MC, encounters a person or situation that gives them a new goal, either a want or a need. They pursue it, but something prevents it from being easily attainable--the antagonist, which need not be a human being. MC doubles down, going after the goal intensely. MC may acquire allies, may alienate those in their day to day life, may get so involved in pursuit of goal they damage their life (you can't go after buried treasure in the Caribbean and expect to have your job and romantic partner waiting when you get back, after all), or may go it alone. Either way, there will be at least on major setback, but MC gives one final push and either succeeds or fails. In most fiction, MC attains the goal, and is forever changed by what it took to get it.

So apply those basics to the characters you've imagined. Who's the MC? What is their new goal and how is it introduced? What would it take to acquire it? What stands in MC's way?

FWIW, while many beginning writers try first person, most readers prefer third, so if you're on the fence, I'd recommend third person limited, past tense.

• Marli

You will need to figure out at least what your characters want to do, how they intend to do it, what gets in their way, and if they succeed.

My main character, a boy, wants to receive an award at a piano recital.

He intends to practice a difficult piece of music. He spends hours in practicing scales and all the other exercises as well as the piece. He works on the tricky bits with his teacher.

What gets in his way: his school work; his social life; being called a sissy because he'd rather play piano than baseball; nerves when recital day approaches.

Does he succeed? I want him to; but right now I don't know how. I want him to be under a lot of pressure.

When you read the "at least ten books", I suggest you break them down into those four things.

There are many books, e-books, online courses etc. about how to write. As a pre-internet person, I go to Dewey Decimal Class 808.8 first.  Every person is different. If you can write without a detailed plan, then you are exceptional.  I am more comfortable building  an outline based on those four questions I set for myself. If I stray a bit from it, I can decide if the straying will be a more interesting way to get my character to her goal. That goal has to be before me, so I must know what it is.

Just start. That's the best advice I can give. I have ten books selling on Amazon and I learned years ago that getting started works best. There is a wonderful program, now free, that allows you to write chapters individually and then bring together in whatever order you want for publishing. It is at http://www.softwareforwriting.com/pagefour.html and you may find it helpful to capture your words. If writing each story separately seems best for the moment, then do that. You will be capturing content that can be manipulated later. Good luck.

• Amber

My advice would be:

1) Read - read a lot of books but not just any books. Novels that have some acclaim. 

2) There is a ton of information on how to write all over the internet. There is a way to map out a story for every single writer on the planet. It's a case of trial and error, and for some people mapping it out kills the idea. Which is why I'm against the idea of suggesting first time writers always plan out their work. 

3) Learn to do your own research. This may seem nasty of me to say but you need to start using your own brain a little bit. When I began writing there was no internet forums like this where I could ask this kind of question. I knew nobody who wrote. At 8 I had to use my intuitive and think: 'I want to learn something so I need to do research on how to do it. I need to go to a library and find resources on this.' If you can't even think like that at 17 and have to ask others how to do it it's time you did. And no just in writing but in life. The problem with asking random people is they could be wrong and set you on the wrong path.

4) Join a writing forum/group. I usually advise a writing group in person but with CO-VID it would need to be over the internet for now. Good ones like Abolsutewriter, Creative Writing Forum, Critiquecircle. They cater to serious writers and those who want it as a hobby.

5) Write something every day. 

You probably think you know everything there is to know about your characters but the chances are you probably don't and you actually don't need to know everything.

What is your characters goal? What is your characters want? What is their central conflict? What is their need? What is there major flaw and how does it muddle things up for them (think Sherlock)? What is this characters arc? Is it a positive or negative one? Where do they end up and how are they different from the beginning of the novel (I don't just mean the situation they find themselves in but how are they different in themselves) 

I say this because to most young writers "knowing everything" about their character normally means they have a list of personality traits, a list of physical traits, name, date of birth and that's about it. Family and friends. Those alone don't make a character.

Anyway I hope this helped.

it was a dark and stormy night .......

• ?

If you want to write a story, read ten books. If you aren't willing to expend the time and effort to do that, you certainly aren't going to summon the wherewithal to write a story. There are 10,000 different ways to go about writing. In the time it must have taken you to draw your characters and set up fake Facebook profiles for them you could have easily churned out a 5,000 word piece of free-writing. Do you want to write or do you want to pretend to be a writer? Writers read. Pretenders sit around drawing cartoons and faffing about on the internet. Off you go then.