Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 2 months ago

Why don’t the hospitals close on Christmas Day?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Daisy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

This question comes up every year. I am hoping you are not the same person posting this question year after year.

Just in case you're not- hospitals, like police and fire stations are essential services.  People don't stop being ill at Christmas just as homes and businesses don't catch on fire because it's Christmas or crimes are not committed just because it's Christmas.

We need these services 24/7 all year around.  Especially this year with the COVID virus.  We couldn't survive without them. 

Now, if you are the same person asking this question year after year, it's time to think up a new question. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

For the same reason that police stations, fire stations, and EMS (ambulance services) don’t close. Criminals don’t take a break for the holidays and house fires and severe car accidents still occur. People still have heart attacks, drug overdoses, some women need to deliver a baby, there are actually increases in domestic violence calls and DUI crashes during the holidays. I suspect that due to covid this year, there will be a drastic rise in mental health crisis calls. Now, that’s not to say that none of our nurses, police officers, or firefighters will get time off. Depending on how long they have been in the career field, as well as ranking and local personnel needs, some will be given time off over the holidays. Usually for the first few years on the job, especially police officers, will have to work 3rd shift and all holidays. I would assume that this is similar to EMS and firefighters work schedule.

• 2 months ago

I feel sorry for you "parents" having you.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because people can become ill, have accidents, have operations, etc, on ANY day of the year - including around Xmas.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Even on Christmas Day, people get sick and have medical emergencies.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

They actually are closing at 5:00pm on Christmas Eve and they will reopen on Monday, January 4th 2021.

And the same goes for the police & fire department... they are all getting ready to close for the Christmas season. :)

• donnie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because people don’t start getting hurt or sick because it’s Christmas 

Lv 7
    2 months ago

In modern hospitals, there is no respect for a day of rest anymore and they must keep 'em moving and doing invasive things.  The medical "industry" is about giving the least to get the most.

• 2 months ago

Because they provide services that are necessary on all days.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Because people still get sick on Christmas Day. Illness doesn’t take a break just because it’s Christmas. If they did, maybe someone should trick covid into thinking that everyday is Christmas

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.